Preparing for Moving Day
Regardless of how long it has been since you last moved, you will probably underestimate how big a job it is. Below is a checklist that should help you to prepare for moving day:
- Give change of address form to the post office.
- Change accounts and credit cards.
- Change of address with DMV.
- Notify insurance companies.
- Call utility companies.
- Notify subscriptions of change of address.
- Notify friends and relatives.
- Get refunds on any deposits made.
- Return any library books or rented videos, etc.
- Plan a garage sale.
- Inventory your possessions.
- Get boxes to move.
- Set up movers and charity pick-ups.
- Try to use as much food in the refrigerator and freezer as possible.
- Set up house cleaning.
- Set up carpet cleaning (if necessary or required).
- Make arrangements for pets.
- Carry enough cash to make the move.
- Get any keys from neighbors.
- Leave keys, garage door openers, manuals etc. for the new buyer.
- Make a list of service people, along with their phone numbers, for the buyer (gardeners, spa people, etc.).
- Double check the house after everything is moved out.
- Etc., etc., etc.
It is also time to think about "feathering the nest" for the buyer. Below is a list of what you should do to prepare your home for the buyer:
- Kitchen to be cleaned, including all appliances.
- Bathrooms to be cleaned.
- Cupboards and shelves to be wiped off.
- All floors to be vacuumed or mopped.
- All debris removed from inside and outside of the property.
- Garage to be free of debris and swept.
- Landscape to be maintained. Cut the lawn within a few days of buyer's possession.
- Leave all manuals, garage door openers and keys, etc. for buyers.
Many real estate agents disappear immediately after a transaction, but my commitment to you extends long after the sale of your home. Whenever you have questions or concerns regarding your home, your neighborhood, or general real estate trends, please don't hesitate to call or email.
Also, as you come across friends and family members in need of a skilled and experienced realtor, please send them my way. I look forward to giving them the same great service that I have given you.
Selling a home is a very important decision, as well as a large undertaking, and it is a pleasure and a privilege to be able to assist you throughout this process.